Executive Director, Musée Bytown Museum
Closing date: January 4, 2022 – 23:59, EST
The MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM is seeking a dynamic, energetic, visionary and experienced Executive Director to:
- Lead the museum’s strategic and business planning, as well as policy and processes development;
- Supervise 3 full-time employees, 1 part-time employee, as well as interns, contractors and summer students;
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring and training of all staff and student positions;
- Lead fund-development activities: grant-writing, revenue streams, fundraising, donation activities, etc.;
- Oversee the museum’s financial management;
- Oversee the liaison with Parks Canada, City of Ottawa, stakeholders, community organizations and businesses, and engage in innovative community development, for instance with the Algonquin Anishinaabe Peoples of the region;
- Oversee and guide the collections management, exhibition and programming activities, while considering how to make these more accessible and digital;
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors.
MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM is a vibrant and modern community museum in the heart of Ottawa, Ontario. It is a registered charity, not-for-profit organization. For further information, visit https://bytownmuseum.com/.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the museum is currently closed to the public. The work environment is flexible and hybrid: all staff are working remotely, but are also required to frequently work on-site. This may evolve as the museum reopens and the Executive Director will work closely with the Board of Directors to determine the museum’s future work model.
- Degree from recognized post-secondary institution in Museum studies, Business, Management, Cultural Heritage Management, or related field in conjunction with equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years of professional experience managing not-for-profit operations (experience with community museum management is preferred). This includes: o Experience managing and supervising staff and volunteers o Experience with financial management
- Experience generating sustained revenues from multiple income streams such as federal/provincial/local grants, fundraising, membership programs, and commercial activities.
- Excellent leadership skills
- Superb people, communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge of current digital tools and technologies used to increase virtual and/or physical access to museums
- Fluent in French and English (bilingualism)
The Executive Director position offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, as well as a good holiday schedule and professional development opportunities.
The museum is an equal opportunity employer.
Send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com by January 4, 2022 – 23:59, EST.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted after the closing date of this posting.