Visitor Engagement Officer: Programming Assistant
Rate of Pay: $14.00/hour
Work Term: October 12 2020 to March 31 2021 (24 weeks; 23.5 hrs/week)
The BYTOWN MUSEUM is currently looking for a friendly and energetic Visitor Engagement Officer: Programming Assistant for the 2020 winter season. The Visitor Engagement Officer (VEO) position plays an integral part in creating a welcoming and memorable visitor centered experience for all of our patrons. We are looking for a proactive team member with an enthusiastic approach and a passion for exceptional customer care in support of the museum’s expansion of programming and services as Ottawa’s oldest community museum.
Located in the heart of downtown, the BYTOWN Museum is committed to engage the local community and visitors abroad in discovery and exploration of the stories of an evolving city and its residents from its early days as Bytown to present day. Its mandate is to collect, preserve, study and make accessible the material and cultural heritage of the Ottawa region’s multicultural and rich history, aspiring to the highest quality of service in furthering knowledge and developing a sense of pride among its diverse visitors.
Responsibilities for Programming Assistant
• Help plan and deliver 2021 lecture series on diverse cultural groups in Ottawa
o Minimum 6 lectures (January-June)
o Identify other possible virtual talks relating to museum’s history or museum-related topics
• Assist Manager of Visitor Services in developing further online educational curriculum-based programming accessible to teachers and other educators
• Assist Manager of Visitor Services in developing seasonal public programming o Examples:
–Autumn themed programs
• Assist Manager of Visitor Services in reviewing and enhancing current tour offerings in preparation for 2021 season/reopening o Assess tours and identify areas of redundancy/similarity between tours
o Create additional unique offerings
o Help brainstorm possible interactive elements for tours
• Perform and undertake any other related duties with a flexible attitude
• Minimum of one year completed post-secondary education in Museum Studies, History, Education, Marketing, Event Management, Theatre or suitable equivalent
• Excellent communication skills and command of both French and English is mandatory
• Interest and enthusiasm in the history of Bytown, Ottawa and the Rideau Canal. Knowledge of Canadian History.
• Ability to work as a team player with strong interpersonal skills, willingness to assume initiative and work independently
• Knowledge of current museum practices as they relate to programming and visitor research
• Enjoys meeting, working and conversing with people of all ages, race and backgrounds
• Experience giving guided tours and family programs to a range of audiences
• Knowledge of language other than English and French
The part-time position as a Visitor Engagement Officer will run from October 1st 2020 to March 31st 2020. This positon will be 21.5 hours per week and may include weekend programming shifts.
Interviews will be conducted in English with a French component.
Candidates must meet Young Canada Works HCNT eligibility requirements.
– Between 16 and 30 years of age at start of employment
– Eligible to work in Canada
– Willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
– Registered as a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) with the intent to return to school in the fall.
Resume and a cover letter to be received, no later than 11:59 pm on Sunday September 27th 2020 to
Postal Address: MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM, P.O. Box 523, Station B; Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5P6
No telephone enquiries please.
While we thank all candidates for showing interest in the BYTOWN MUSEUM, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The BYTOWN MUSEUM is an equal opportunity employer.