The BYTOWN MUSEUM is currently looking to recruit ten creative, energetic and motivated Visitor
Service Officers who are passionate about history and culture with the intent to implement site specific visitor centered experiences to showcase our stories, heritage, culture and values throughout the 2017 summer season.
Their role as Visitor Services Officer will be to assist in the expansion our historical interpretation and visitor engagement components within the daily interactions to create the museum as a historical hot spot! This position is an integral part of a professional and enthusiastic team, who strive to provide an excellent visitor experience to all while supporting the museum’s programming and operations showcasing this monumental year as Canadians from coast to coast, visitors alike will come together to celebrate Canada’s Confederation, our past, present and ignite our future. Coinciding with our country’s 150th birthday, the BYTOWN Museum will mark its Centennial Anniversary of opening its doors as Ottawa’s oldest community museum.
Located within a popular destination area in the heart of downtown Ottawa, the BYTOWN MUSEUM explores the stories of an evolving city and its residents from its early days as Bytown to present day Nation’s Capital, providing the residents of Ottawa and visitors from abroad with a sense of identity and pride in Ottawa’s rich story.
- Minimum of one year completed post-secondary education in Museum Studies, History, Education, Marketing, Event Management, Theatre or suitable equivalent
- Passion for working with the public. Outgoing personality and previous customer service experience
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with your colleagues and the public
- Genera knowledge and interest in the history of Bytown, Ottawa, the Rideau Canal and Canadian
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team, assume initiative and work independently
- Fluently bilingual in French and English is mandatory
- Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. Able to climb stairs as there is no elevator access beyond the 2nd floors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide exceptional customer care as a part of daily operations including: welcoming and orientating guests to products and services within and outside of museum, working within the Cafe & Boutique, opening and closing the Museum, maintaining cleanliness of galleries, facilities and public spaces
- Deliver of educational and public programming, guided tours in formal and informal settings and special events
- Enrich the experience of visitors through general interaction and interpretation of the museum and site; providing local tourism information in both official languages
In this exciting role you will assist in one of the following projects:
- Programming Facilitator
- Living History Hosts
- Communications and Outreach
- Volunteer Program
- Revenue Streams
- Built Heritage Specialist
- French Language Programmer
- Visitor Service Officers will be expected to be available weekends, holidays and some evenings
- Knowledge of current museum practices as they relate to programming and visitor engagement
- Previous experience giving tours, planning and coordinating events to a range of audiences
- Previous experience in the retail and hospitality industry
- Proficiency in writing and photography
- Knowledge of language other than English and French
The Visitor Services Officer position will run May 2 to September 3, 2017 – 5 days/week with a max of 35 hours/week. Part-time extension in fall is a possibility. Rate of Pay: $12.50/hour
Interviews will be conducted in English with French components.
Applicants must meet Young Canada Works eligibility requirements. You are eligible if you:
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at start of employment
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- do not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the position
Apply Now: Send your cover letter and resume, no later than 4 pm on Wednesday April 5, 2017 to:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: (613) 234-4846
Mail: BYTOWN MUSEUM, P.O. Box 523, Station B; Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5P6
No telephone enquiries please.
While we thank all applicants for showing interest in the MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM, only those candidates meeting the criteria outlined will be contacted as part of the short listing process. The MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM is an equal opportunity employer.